Team Giggle On™ is back!
Please join Team Giggle On™ Sunday, October 25, 2009 for the E-Racing the Blues Event benefiting the Mental Health Association in Delaware.
Update: November 13, 2009. The Team Captains Luncheon was help today and thanks to the 74 registered participants on our team we were recognized by E-Racing the Blues Chairwoman Jane Castle for having the largest team in the 2009. We also were congratulated for raising over $3,000 for the organization. Thank you to everyone who joined us in spreading the laughter and raising awareness.
We had so much fun (even me in my wheelchair). Enjoy the photos below.
Top 10 Reasons to Join Team Giggle On™:
- Eliminating the stigma associated with mental illness and suicide is a great cause!
- Walking & exercise help to relieve symptoms of depression, reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol, release tension in muscles and positively affects the same neurotransmitters that antidepressant medications target.
- Because you believe in the healing power of laughter and playfulness and want to help me get out “The Giggle“.
- There will be Laughter Yoga.
- Because ya’ll keep askin’ me how you can contribute to the Giggle On mission – this is your chance.
- I am giving away clown noses, kazoos and tiny bubbles.
- Because I can NOT eliminate CGDS (Chronic Giggle Deficiency Syndrome) alone. Well…you shouldn’t LET me.
- You’ll hav e a chance to win the Giggle On™ Basket of Playfulness
- It’s going to be fun! 🙂
- We are raffling off some great fitness gifts (see below for details)!
Let’s get our Giggle On™ together this October 25th.
Sign up today folks – I NEED YOU!
Mental Health Statistics
According to the NIMH, “an estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.”
- In 2008, 90 Delawareans died by suicide. Source: Suicide Survivors Link
- Over 33,000 people in the United States die by suicide every year.
- 90% of all people who die by suicide have a diagnosable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death.
- Every day, approximately 90 Americans take their own life, and 2,300 more attempt to do so.
- Over 60 percent of all people who die by suicide suffer from major depression. If one includes alcoholics who are depressed, this figure rises to over 75 percent. Source: AFSP
Kelli walks in memory of her dad, John Pedrick and I walk in memory of Jim Thompson. Both of these men died by suicide and we miss them a lot.
Kelli and also I co-facilitate a peer-to-peer support group for Survivors of Suicide Loss twice a month in Hockessin, Delaware. If you have a question about the group, please contact Kelli or email me at christa (at) giggleon (dot) com.
Register HERE to join the grooviest and most giggly team the Mental Health Association in Delaware has EVER seen – Giggle On!
If you cannot participate, make a donation, p-u-lease. You’ll earn Giggle Karma points, I promise! Kelli and I understand times are tight financially, really we do, but your donation of $25, $50, $100 or more would help a lot. Thank you. 🙂
Please bring your checkbook or cash for the great Giggle On raffle. Tickets will be sold for $2 a piece or 3 for $5. You’ll have the chance to win the following items donated by Delaware businesses:
- 3 month gym membership (a $160 value) to Fit Fitness
- 7th Path self-hypnosis class (a $125 value) from Beth Keil
- Private Pilates session ($75 value) from Mara Raskin
- 1 month family membership and 2 Personal Training Sessions for Two ($411 value) from Hockessin Athletic Club
One lucky Giggle On Team member will win the Giggle On basket of Playfulness. All you need to do is enter your name in a drawing before the walk and I’ll draw the name of the lucky winner after we complete the 5K.
Directions to Dravo Plaza in Wilmington, DE
Dravo Plaza is near Frawley Stadium where the Blue Rocks play. Use this link for directions
The event is held rain or shine so please dress appropriately.
If you have a Giggle On shirt, hat or sweatshirt, please wear it to show support for the team. Proceeds from the sale of Giggle On items are donated to charity. To purchase, visit the Giggle On Store at Café Press http://www.cafepress.com/GiggleOn3 or see the fun girlie items at http://www.justjen.com/buy/tshirt-giggleon.htm