Stress. We’ve all got it. Some of it is good stress. Some of it is nasty, bad and chronic.
In How to Be Chronically Stressed Out we sarcastically and snarkily outlined 8 recommendations to help you become a magnet of toxicity. Our reactions to stressors (drinking, drugging, over-eating) often make life worse. Been there. Done that.
According to the American Psychological Association CEO, Norman B. Anderson, PhD, stress is a key driver of chronic illnesses. Anderson states, “75% of health-care costs are associated with chronic illness.” Yikes! Fear not though. Famous endocrinologist and “Father” of the field of stress research once said:
“It’s not stress that kills us, it is our reaction to it.” – Hans Selye
Start fresh today. Add a couple of these stress busting tips to your daily repertoire. You’ve got nothing but stress to lose and relaxation to gain!
11 TIPS TO BUST STRESS
1. Laugh Out Loud. Laugh for no reason, find a comedy to tickle your funny bone or enjoy time with friends. Laughter, whether real or even fake, works to counter your body’s stress response. No one is suggesting you spend 24/7 laughing (we don’t), but please, set aside 20 minutes a day to get your Giggle On.
2. Pray. Meditate. Be Still. No matter what you like to call it, taking time to be silent can help bring you into balance by positively impacting your brain chemistry. Need help starting? While inhaling deeply into your belly, chest and upper back, meditate on the word “peace”. Visualize stress leaving your body on the exhale.
3. Hummmmmmmm. Make like a bumble bee and hum. Humming meditation can be done anywhere and almost anytime. Humming activates the parasympathetic nervous system which controls your rest, relaxation & digestion response. Wanna make humming fun? (Get your mind outta the gutter). Why not get musical with your humming and get your Kazoo On?
4. Exercise. You don’t need to become an Olympian to reap benefits of exercise. Play ball. Dig in the dirt. Take a brisk walk with your dog. Whichever way you choose, moving your body pumps endorphin’s, your brain’s feel-good neurotransmitters.
5. Play With A Pet. Got dog? Got cat? Get your petting on! Studies show petting our furry animals helps lower blood pressure. Some say dogs are even better than Prozac! What you do think?
6. Hug Somebody. As much as we love Twitter for connecting us with like-minded people, we admit we spend more time in front of a computer screen than in front of other human beings. There is no substitute for human contact. Hugs heal, straight up!
7. ZZZZZZZ. Sleep. Yup, gotta get it. Set a regular bedtime and become one with your pillow. Sleep is nature’s free gift to you. Take it!
8. Smile Chat. Go ahead and call or video chat with that special person who always makes you smile. If you don’t have a friend who makes you smile, rent one, steal one or hire one.
9. Massage. Massage therapy is a great way to relieve and release stress. Your body has a unique way of storing stress. Don’t store it, send it packing!
10. Got H2o? Water is one of those fundamental building blocks of life. Your body needs it to flush out toxins and work its best. Get and stay hydrated for a better you.
11. Sing. Sing a song. Sing out loud…oh, you know the rest. Singing draws more oxygen into your blood. Your body loves oxygen, as a matter of fact, you can’t live long without it. LOL!!
We’d love to hear from you! What ways to you counter the impact of stress in your life? What has worked well for you, what hasn’t? Please leave a comment below.