Peace. Love. Giggle On! My name is Christa Scalies, Founder of Giggle On.
My life’s mission is to promote the use of laughter as a wellness tool for improved physical, mental and spiritual health.
Giggle On!® is an attitude, a positive mantra for living life. It means: ‘laugh & have fun’!
Benefits of Laughter
- Laughter helps us recover from illness and strengthens our immune system;
- Boosts self-confidence, creativity, improves communication skills and creates positive group energy.
- Laughter releases endorphins (natural pain killers) and serotonin (natural feel good chemicals);
- A good guffaw helps us feel younger and more alive;
- Ha-ha-ing increases circulation and improves the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to tissues throughout your body;
- Laughing relieves stress;
- Laughter is Fat-free, Tax-Free and Calorie-Free!!!
- It feels good!
Your body cannot heal without play. Your mind cannot heal without laughter. Your soul cannot heal without joy.— Catherine Rippenger Fenwick
How Giggle On Started
In 2007 I met a handsome Texan by the name of Jim Sims. During a telephone conversation he introduced me to the phrase “get your giggle on”. Jim Sims inspired me to embrace the creative process and in late 2007, Giggle On was born.
Giggle On began as a way for me to share my very personal story of depression, grief and my subsequent positive transformation after my friend Jim Thompson’s suicide in 2005. Jim Thompson’s suicide actually saved my life. Sadly and ironically, Jim Sims also decided to leave this world by way of suicide in 2009.
Regardless of how many lemons, deaths, diseases and disappointments life throws my way, I know the healing power of laughter is always inside of me. I smile, laugh and express love everyday (even on days when I’m really ticked off).
My job on this planet is to help people reclaim their giggles after loss, death, disease or disappointment.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Dr. Leonardo Buscaglia
Even if you have felt the loss of a loved one, experienced the pain of physical ailments or suffered from deep and long lasting depression, it is possible to learn to laugh, love and smile again. Giggle On is dedicated to my laughter loving friends Jim Thompson and Jim Sims and to anyone who has lost their giggle.
We don’t use laughter to cover up pain and loss, we use laughter to transcend it! ~ Christa Scalies
Useful & Useless Facts about me
- I believe laughter is my birthright.
- I am a 200 Hour Registered Yoga Teacher, a Certified Laughter Yoga Leader, suicide prevention and mental health advocate.
- I think Wonder Woman is fantastic. Who wouldn’t want an invisible plane?
- I started a Laughter Drive in memory of a young girl who passed away from cancer.
- I provide a safe place for survivors of suicide loss to talk about their feelings.
- I was born and bred in the Philadelphia area. I say “Yo” on a daily basis. Go Temple Owls!
- I enjoy silliness, schtick, kazoos, whoopie cushions and props of all shapes and sizes. My latest pal is Mr. Laffy Laffalot (actually, we’re engaged).
- Garlic is my Patron Saint.
- I love comedies (movies, tv shows) humor and jokes.
- I hate the color pink. (these little flowers here are purple)
- I have a day job.
- Dashboard Jesus & Dashboard Buddha are my best friends. (they love to dance)
- I trust my dog and Bugs Bunny more than I trust politicians.
- I own a yodeling pickle (swear to God. Here’s proof) and thanks to Jim Sims, I also love fried pickles.